MERCURY-FREE, MERCURY-SAFE DENTISTRY & MERCURY AMALGAM REMOVAL
Mercury-free dentists no longer place amalgam fillings and use available mercury-free alternatives. Mercury-safe dentists also do not place amalgam fillings, use available mercury-free alternatives and in addition, apply special techniques to remove existing amalgam fillings.
Based on up-to-date scientific research, the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) has developed rigorous recommendations for removing existing dental mercury amalgam fillings to assist in reducing the potential negative outcomes of mercury exposure to patients, dental professionals, dental students, office staff, and others. The IAOMT’s recommendations are known as the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART).
Our office is a mercury-safe dental practice.
The World Health Organization states on its website: “Mercury is toxic to human health.”
Do you have mercury amalgam (“silver”) dental fillings in your teeth? If you do, then you have a potential source of mercury in your body.
Mercury vapor is continuously released from amalgam fillings, and it may be absorbed and retained in the body, particularly in the brain, kidney, liver, lung, and gastrointestinal tract. The amount of mercury released from fillings depends on the number of fillings a patient has and other circumstances (such as chewing, teeth-grinding, and the consumption of hot liquids). Mercury also is known to be released at higher levels during the placement, replacement, and removal of dental mercury amalgam fillings in the dental office.
Although a number of other countries have banned or limited the use of dental amalgam fillings, nearly 50% of dentists in the US still place dental mercury fillings in their patients’ teeth. The American Dental Association and the Food & Drug Administration in the US continue to approve the use of dental amalgam fillings in dental offices.
WHAT ARE THE FORMS OF MERCURY?
In general, mercury primarily exists in the body as “methyl mercury” and “inorganic mercury”. Inorganic mercury is the most toxic form of mercury in your body. Small amounts of elemental mercury, which is the third form of mercury, can be released as vapor from existing dental amalgams. Mercury vapor is then converted into inorganic mercury.
HOW DOES MERCURY GET IN YOUR BODY?
The majority of mercury in your body got there by eating contaminated fish and by having dental amalgams placed in your teeth. Most large fish are contaminated with methyl mercury. When you eat these large fish, their methyl mercury gets into your system. Some of this methyl mercury may become oxidized in your body to become inorganic mercury. However, the majority of inorganic mercury in your body came from dental amalgams. Free mercury vapor, as it is released from existing amalgam fillings, can be inhaled and changed into inorganic mercury.
WHAT DOES MERCURY DO TO YOU?
This is the major problem. Mercury can cause so many symptoms because it affects almost all normal biological functions. Here are three of the many symptoms of mercury toxicity you might experience:
- Fatigue from mercury damaging energy production in all cells
- Weight gain and decrease in metabolism from mercury damaging normal thyroid function
- High levels of anxiety from mercury affecting the brain
HOW DO YOU AVOID MERCURY EXPOSURE?
Avoid eating large fish like shark, tuna, and swordfish – all of which are high in methyl mercury. Eat fish that are small-sized and low on the food chain. Examples of healthy fish that are low in mercury are wild caught salmon, sardines, kippers, and anchovies. Also, don’t let your dentist place dental fillings that contain mercury in your mouth.
HOW TO GET RID OF TOXIC MERCURY?
Getting rid of mercury toxicity can be difficult, and treatment can take many months. Your body has natural mechanisms to remove mercury. But, your body’s natural processes can become damaged from poor lifestyle and poor diet choices.
To assist your body to remove mercury, your gut must be healthy and you must eat nutrient-dense, anti-inflammatory foods. This type of diet will stimulate your body’s natural mechanisms to push out heavy metals from individual cells and prepare mercury to be eliminated as waste products. At Bluffton Center for Dentistry, Dr. Danenberg provides nutritional counseling to guide you through a healthier diet and lifestyle program.
If you wanted your existing dental amalgams removed by a dentist, the dentist must be trained how to remove these mercury fillings correctly to prevent you from being overexposed to the mercury vapors. Removal of silver dental amalgam fillings without safety measures can harm everyone in the dental office through exposure to released mercury vapor, including you, the patient.
The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) offers a certification program that teaches dentists how to remove amalgams safely. The Certification Program is called the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART). Dentists who have obtained SMART certification from the IAOMT have completed coursework related to mercury and the safe removal of amalgam fillings. The educational programming includes learning about the application of the rigorous safety measures, including the utilization of specific equipment. Dr. Porcelli has been certified as a SMART dentist. Our office has a dedicated room for safe mercury amalgam removal. We use unique agents and specific equipment to protect patients and staff.
PROTOCOL TO REMOVE AMALGAMS
A few days before the appointment to remove amalgam fillings, patients begin a daily natural supplement regimen to help the body remove toxic substances. This protocol is recommended for the next 60-90 days.
The day of the appointment, patients rinse with activated charcoal and chlorella solutions to prepare the mouth for the procedure. The patient, staff, and doctor wear protective clothing; the teeth being treated have a protective rubber dam placed around them; and specialized high-speed suction is used to remove all mercury vapor. These are necessary steps to remove existing amalgam fillings in a healthy and biologically acceptable manner.
In addition to safe removal of dental amalgams, it is also important to avoid vapors being emitted from the removal of other dental filling materials. Therefore, we recommend these safety measures be used for the removal of all other dental materials.
OTHER TOXIC SUBSTANCES
All dental devices and materials present some risks. Our goal is to assess the risks posed by all dental materials and to help you make informed choices. Some patients may have sensitivity to various components in other dental products. To help patients determine if they are sensitive, Bluffton Center for Dentistry offers the Clifford Materials Reactivity Testing, where a sample of your blood is sent to Clifford Labs to test for potential sensitivity. The Lab tests for over 90 basic chemical groups and families of compounds relating to more than 9,600 dental restorative trade-name products. If potential sensitivities are detected from this blood test, then other dental materials would be selected for you.
NEW PATIENTS WELCOME
We welcome patients from other dental practices across the nation who are specifically looking to have their amalgams safely removed and replaced with BPA-free white composite fillings. Our office offers state-of-the-art equipment to offer you not only the safest amalgam removal, but also a comfortable environment and high quality care.